Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Little Slice of Home

The family of the other Australian in Kotka where in Kotka for a week, I spent 1 afternoon and one evening (on 2 different days) with them just 'being Australian'... whatever that is... but it was good :) Having an Aussie meal of ribs and veggies and doing things again which are acceptable in Australia but viewed as absurd in Finland... the list is too long to write aha!



Looks like home :D

Strangely enough, a few days after they left we ran into 2 other Australians whilst in the city, they were in Kotka for just over a week as part of the support team (a.k.a mothers) of 2 members of the Australian team participating in a 5 day motor bike race being held in daily sections in the Kotka area. We spoke to them for about 20 minutes as though we had known them forever (an Australian social skill gift perhaps) and told them the best places to go to get some supplies they forgot to bring with them.

Sometimes I feel as though I am 2 different people, Australian Ana who can be loud and outgoing and then other times I am Finnish Ana who respects other people's silence and looks scornfully at the loud group in the corner disturbing the peace... the inner conflict as to which to be is quite an interesting one sometimes sometimes aha For instance, when on the public buses I dread the moment when my phone rings as I have to break the quiet and peaceful atmosphere. When it does happen I feel like Clive the slightly to loud commuter, for those who don't know who that is:



'Clive the Slightly to Loud Commuter' from The Chaser's War On Everything

yes... now you understand the feeling... but you only have to be talking about where you are to earn sideways glances and death stares from fellow passengers ahaha


Aaaaand just as a side note: I saw the very 1st leaf change colour for the Autumn... the only one in my entire yard but the 1st sign that Summer won't last forever, but I am not sad, Summer (by Finland standards) is every day of my Australian life, BRING ON THE SNOW!!!! :D





1 comment:

  1. oh, i see. so it didn't happen only to me. i mean developing a second personality while being on exchange. let me introduce myself: Aggie, the relaxed and always-smiling Aussie local, and Agnieszka - the stressed Polish student that always does her homework.
    xoxo :))

    ReplyDelete